Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dinner with Old Friends

As a teacher it is hoped that you make a difference in the lives of the students you work with. I’ve been teaching for 8 years now and still feel like I am learning new things every day from the people around me and through the experiences I go through daily. After 8 years, I am still honored when a former student of mine contacts me out of the blue for a quick hello or an update on where they are now. 8 years doesn’t seem like long to me, but in 8 years, my students have graduated high school, are attending college and some are even parents themselves.



Over the weekend, the roll was reversed. I was the student and a former teacher of mine who I have always looked up to, was contacted for a dinner and catch up. Mr. Preisinger has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. He was my brother’s science teacher, then mine, and again an advisor in the science department when I went through my teacher certification program. Currently he, his wife Robin, and their two fabulous kids live in Taipei-just a train ride away. It was a dinner to remember as we introduced our baby girls to Pat and Robin for the first time. Sage and Xian took to them immediately. I feel fortunate to have had such a memorable teacher growing up who has become someone who continues to impact me personally and professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment