Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The End of an Era--Goodbye Washougal

This is the final week at Jemtegaard and my leaving is bittersweet. I began my teaching career here in Washougal and it's the only teaching family I've ever known. I did my student teaching at Hathaway with the UP team: a triad of wonderful ladies who were instrumental in developing who I am as a teacher today. My mentor teacher has become a second mother to me and I am thankful every single day to have her in my life, still guiding and directing, while supporting and encouraging me.

When I arrived at JMS, I was new to teaching and it was my first position. I was lucky enough to work with an amazing teaching partner who taught me the value of forming strong relationships with my students. The focus was always on the person and not just what the student could or could not do. I was fortunate to be able to continue with that same group of kiddos for three years. I feel as if they have taught me way more than I could have ever taught them.

So as I leave Jemtegaard this week, I leave behind a wonderful group of kids, coworkers and a great community. I want to thank all of those people who have touched my life over the past 6 years. It has been quite the journey and one that I will always remember with a smile on my face.

It is time to move on and continue to grow as an educator and a person. My life has taken a lot of twists and turns over the years, but it is the people I remember the most. Thank you to those who have stood by me, laughed with me, cried with me and simply held my hand. I hope that you continue to keep in touch as Frank, Audrey and I embark on this new journey. We are excited to move to Taiwan to experience a new community and culture, and yet sad to be leaving all of you.

With fond memories,
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment